It’s A Tale of Two Hygienists’ monthly student roundtable episode, which means Andrew and Michelle have invited a roster of guests to educate student listeners on a chosen topic. This month’s topic can be a nerve-wracking one for patients and hygienists alike: administering anesthesia.
Tina Clarke is a dental hygienist based in Oregon, which is one of the more liberal states when it comes to anesthesia administration; she is 20-year hygienist, has worked 14 years as an educator, and is known as the go-to person in her area when it comes to anesthesia. Marion Manski works as an associate professor at Fones School of Dental Hygiene as part of the University of Bridgeport. She has been teaching local anesthesia for over a decade.
In this episode, our guests reveal the secrets of the “Stab Lab,” use smoothie straws to explain the idea of a bevel, and delve into the legal restrictions on anesthesia usage from state to state.
Interview starts: 4:06
– Why no training dummy can measure up to an actual person when practicing anesthesia techniques.
– Tina and Marion share their tips and tricks for calming your nerves while giving injections.
– The importance of understanding “anatomical landmarks” when lining up your injection.
– Why Marion advocates pairing articaine with septocaine, and the reason septocaine ended up getting such a bad rap.
– The guests’ recipes for success when it comes to sharps safety.
– Considering what a hygienist can say or do to calm patients before and during injections.
“[Anesthesia] is not as scary as we think.”
“You can use the mannequin just so far, and then you need to do the real deal.”
“You also learn a lot when you are the patient.”
“Visualize popping a zit when you’re giving that injection!”
“I think we can all agree hygienists give way better shots.”
“We’re teaching it all the same, it’s just [that] States’ rights get in the way.”
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
Teacher Tina, RDH – https://www.teachertinardh.com/
Tina on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/teachertinardh
Tina on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/teacher_tina_rdh/
Marion’s email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Marion on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/marion.manski
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca