Rate this Podcast! https://ratethispodcast.com/twohygienists
It’s a new month, which means that A Tale of Two Hygienists is embarking on a new series. This time around, Michelle is indulging in her favorite interest—periodontal disease—and has invited someone who can easily walk you through every step of periodontitis.
Katrina Sanders, aka the “Dental Winegenist,” has been a dental hygienist for over ten years and is actually a level 1 sommelier! Katrina is based in Phoenix, AZ and works for AZPerio, the largest periodontal practice in the United States. She is also an educator, consultant and speaker.
In this episode, Katrina goes over and demystifies new periodontal terminology and classifications, reveals where you can build true value in your clinical work, and explains why you should really think about what you say when educating patients on periodontal issues.
Interview starts: 14:53
– Katrina explains the importance of visually demonstrating to audiences and patients how periodontal disease can affect a person’s oral health.
– Michelle and Katrina reflect on how long it used to take to get licenced for anything.
– The eye-opening moment that woke Katrina up to a long-standing issue with how hygienists discuss—or rather, DON’T discuss—periodontal issues with their patients.
– Why how you say something can matter even more than what you say when bringing up periodontal concerns to apprehensive patients.
– Katrina guides us through a very detailed tour of the stages of periodontal disease.
– What are the best tools for identifying the early stages of periodontitis?
“This is our opportunity to rebrand dentistry.”
“I love socializing with my patients, but there’s a time and a place for that socialization.”
“If there’s more debris than we can manage in that small chunk of time we have to actually scale, let’s appropriately diagnose that case.”
“Patients need to know the ‘why’.”
Katrina’s homepage – https://www.katrinasanders.com/
Katrina’s email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Katrina on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/thedentalwinegenist/
Katrina on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/TheDentalWINEgenist
Katrina on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/katrina-m-sanders-rdh-bsdh-m-ed-rf-39547bb4/
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca