While the dental office is obviously the domain of dentistry and dental hygiene, plenty of non-dental medical ailments find their way to the patient chair. Andrew and Michelle’s guests this week are a husband-and-wife pair well-versed in how to deal with medical emergencies in a dental setting.
Patty Emery has been an oral surgery assistant for nearly three decades. Her husband Bruce is an EMT, first responder and a BLS (Basic Life Support) American heart instructor. Together they founded Holy City Heart Savers six years ago to teach CPR and first aid. Their passion is helping others achieve a greater level of care.
In this episode, Patty and Bruce break down how to safely administer an EpiPen, explain why you don’t always need to call 911 if a patient passes out, and examine the important differences between the different heart conditions you could encounter.
Interview starts: 13:20
– Patty shares a few startling statistics about the lack of first aid knowledge among healthcare providers and Americans in general.
– Why reviewing your patient’s medical history is one of the most important things assistants and hygienists can do.
– What vital questions should you ask your patients about their medical history?
– Bruce and Patty give us a crash course in some essential first aid terminology and discuss what you should have on hand in your kit.
– Looking at the differences between three different heart conditions: angina pectoris, heart attacks and cardiac arrest.
– Attending to other conditions your patients may have and experience effects from, such as epilepsy and hyperglycemia.
“Our passion is really just being able to help other people get to a better level of care.”
“When the emergency is happening and you can act flawlessly, it directly affects patient outcome.”
“Minutes do matter.”
“I would also have a simple paper bag for that person who wants to hyperventilate on you.”
Holy City Heart Savers – https://www.holycityheartsavers.com/
Bruce and Patty’s email – [email protected]
Patty’s phone – (843)906-4060
AToTH 236: Fascia and Ergonomics w/Aubreé Chismark – https://offthecusppodcast.libsyn.com/236-fascia-and-ergonomics-for-a-healthier-career-with-aubre-chismark-rdh-and-tracy-ross-rdh
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca