THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – read the disclaimer as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your free CE Credit!
Few hygienists want to bring politics into the office, but the truth is that if you want to make lasting changes to the profession, then you need to work with the legislators who pass state and federal laws. The guest for this week’s A Tale of Two Hygienists has firsthand working with the legislative movers and shakers.
Matt Crespin is the associate director for the Children’s Health Alliance of Wisconsin, former president of American Dental Hygienists Association, and a hygienist himself, but you might be more familiar with him in his role as host of the Your Official ADHA Podcast, which you can find on our very own Dental Podcast Network!
In this episode, Matt discusses the importance of coalition-building, explains how he maintains his positivity and lays out how to create a state-level position for ensuring compliance from clinics and programs across the board.
Interview starts: 10:32
– What Matt finds so rewarding about hosting the ADHA podcast.
– Matt’s “chance to breathe” after finishing his tenure as ADHA president and what he enjoys doing now that he no longer has as many responsibilities.
– How legislation impacts whether or not hygienists can educate in schools.
– Looking at how clinics and programs are vetted, step by step.
– The key advantage of working together in a state health coalition.
– Who hygienists should contact and work with if they want lasting legislative changes.
– The events and meetups that listeners looking to engage with their legislators should look out for.
“If you can’t bill for the services you provide, then there’s no way to sustain the program.”
“I find it more effective to work at the legislative level than at the rules level.”
“In our state, it’s actually more restrictive as a hygienist to work in a dental office than it is pretty much everywhere else.”
“You as an independent constituent are likely not going to have an impact on policy change. It’s gonna take the masses.”
“The more people you can have at the table with more voices from different perspectives, you just get a whole lot more done.”
“If there’s something you’re really passionate about, then it’s worth fighting for.”
Matt’s email – email@example.com
Your Official ADHA Podcast – https://www.ataleoftwohygienists.com/yourofficialadhapodcast/
Children’s Health Alliance of Wisconsin – https://childrenswi.org/
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca