It’s A Tale of Two Hygienists’ monthly student roundtable episode, which means Andrew and Michelle have invited a trio of guests to educate student listeners on a chosen topic. This month’s subject is emotional intelligence (EQ), the ability to maturely understand and manage one’s own emotions.
Corey Jameson-Kuehl is the owner and business development leader for Custom Dental Solutions, which assists dental offices in developing a corporate culture that suits their vision and needs. Jason Luchtefeld is a dentist based in southern Illinois and co-owner of Inspero, which holds strategic planning and emotional intelligence workshops for its clients. Kathi Carlson is the developer and co-creator of the Implant Consortium, a firm focusing on implant coordination and training that emphasizes the well-being of the dental professional.
In this episode, our guests share and discuss literature relating to EQ, relate their own experiences working on EQ or with colleagues who struggle with it, and reveal some of their own strategies for nurturing emotional intelligence.
Interview starts: 3:26
– How taking a workshop on EI changed Jason’s perspective and convinced him to teach these workshops himself.
– Jason shares a study on how emotional intelligence plays a greater role in continued personal and professional success than cognitive intelligence.
– Corey relates her experience working with a challenging hygienist who had difficulties regulating their emotions.
– Why Corey thinks it is important to occasionally reach out to someone in your life who has little to no emotional connection to whatever your struggling with.
– How to most effectively deal with a colleague who you continually have friction with.
– Jason explains what the “Awareness Wheel” is and how it can help your team safely discuss disputes.
– Kathi explains why listeners should give daily meditation a try.
“It’s not really so much about communication but more about connection.”
“Give yourself permission to work on one piece at a time.”
“You have to peel back the layers sometimes to make peace with your past.”
“You really can’t begin this journey until you want to begin this journey.”
“If we can’t be our own best friend, it’s hard to ask others to befriend us.”
“Stress plus Rest equals Growth.”
Custom Dental Solutions: https://www.customdentalsolutions.com/
Corey’s email: email@example.com
Jason’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Implant Consortium: https://theimplantconsortium.com/
Kathi’s email: email@example.com
Thank you to Paradise Dental Technologies aka PDT for providing sponsorship for this episode!
Be sure to thank the sponsor for this episode by heading over to www.PDTDental.com and picking up a new instrument or telling them thank you in person at one of the conferences!
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
Hygiene Edge Video on Helioseal F Plus – https://www.youtube.com/embed/8bhA6peh28A
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca