A Tale of Two Hygienists continues its series on myofunctional therapy by looking at how these issues manifest in older children and adults and how early we should act in order to most effectively treat them. Joining Michelle again for this series is Sarah Hornsby!
Sarah K. Hornsby, RDH, is a myofunctional therapist, speaker and mentor. Her interest in myofunctional disorders arose from her own myofunctional problems, inspiring her to ask bigger questions about why these issues are prevalent in today’s society. This ultimately led to her launching her own myofunctional therapy practice, Faceology, a decade ago.
In this episode, Sarah discusses a whole new movement in orthodontic treatment, examines how myriad factors do—or do NOT—impact myofunctional health, weighs the benefits of techniques for treating myofunctional issues while you sleep.
Interview starts: 15:59
– Sarah discusses a controversy in the orthodontic community over when certain teeth should be removed.
– How Invisalign is branching out its products to a younger age group.
– The questions Sarah asks the orthodontists she works with.
– Looking at the relationship between mouth-breathing and rampant cavities.
– Taking a comprehensive approach to diagnosis myofunctional issues rather than jumping to conclusions based on one or two traits or predictors.
– A quick and easy method to screen patients for potential myofunctional issues.
– Why myofunctional therapy involves higher carbon dioxide intake.
– CPAP: a useful treatment, but definitely not the cure.
“I really appreciate those dentists who are trying to start early.”
“If you look at all the people with the worst perio, they probably have myofunctional issues.”
“If you change the teeth but not the muscles and the soft tissue and the habits, of course the teeth are gonna go back.”
“Myofunctional therapy is really just physical therapy for the muscles of the mouth.”
“Especially with our TMJ patients, we have to be including some sort of myofunctional component or they’re not gonna get better.”
Faceology – https://myfaceology.com/
MyoMentor – http://www.myomentor.com/
Sarah’s homepage – https://www.sarahkhornsby.com/
Sarah on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/sarahkh12
Sarah on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/SarahKHornsby/
Sarah on Twitter – https://twitter.com/SarahHornsbyRDH
Sarah on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sarah_k_hornsby/
Thank you to Paradise Dental Technologies aka PDT for providing sponsorship for this episode!
Be sure to thank the sponsor for this episode by heading over to www.PDTDental.com and picking up a new instrument or telling them thank you in person at one of the conferences!
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca