A Tale of Two Hygienists is starting the New Year off with a brand new series focusing on myofunctional therapy, which focuses on the treatment of musculoskeletal pain. To walk us through this complex subject, we have a very special guest accompanying us over the next few episodes.
Sarah K. Hornsby, RDH, is a myofunctional therapist, speaker and mentor. Her interest in myofunctional disorders arose from her own myofunctional problems, inspiring her to ask bigger questions about why these issues are prevalent in today’s society. This ultimately led to her launching her own myofunctional therapy practice, Faceology, a decade ago.
In this episode, Sarah discusses what pushed her to take up myofunctional therapy, explains what she hopes for her patients to achieve by the end of their treatments, and reveals some of the pushback she experienced trying to talk about these disorders with patients.
Interview starts: 17:04
– How Sarah went from hygiene school to the school of hard knocks in a very short span of time.
– Looking back at how “fringe” myofunctional therapy was thought to be only a decade ago.
– Why having a few strange symptoms led Sarah to pursue myofunctional therapy.
– Sarah describes the opposition she faced when trying to discuss myofunctional issues with patients at her former clinic.
– How Sarah’s professional relationship with dentists has changed over the years.
– Sarah outlines her four goals for her myofunctional patients.
– What historical and environmental factors influenced both myofunctional disorders and the study of them?
– How Sarah has started mentoring other oral health professionals in myofunctional therapy.
“Why are we not looking at this if it is important, and why have I not heard of it?”
“I turned that hygiene program around.”
“It’s hard to talk about stuff you don’t know about.”
“If you want to do this, you’re going to have to take multiple training courses.”
“That’s kind of my mission: to make the field grow.”
“I love those four day courses. I just think we need to be more realistic about the application.”
Faceology – https://myfaceology.com/
MyoMentor – http://www.myomentor.com/
Sarah’s homepage – https://www.sarahkhornsby.com/
Sarah on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/sarahkh12
Sarah on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/SarahKHornsby/
Sarah on Twitter – https://twitter.com/SarahHornsbyRDH
Sarah on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sarah_k_hornsby/
Thank you to Paradise Dental Technologies aka PDT for providing sponsorship for this episode!
Be sure to thank the sponsor for this episode by heading over to www.PDTDental.com and picking up a new instrument or telling them thank you in person at one of the conferences!
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca