Menopause, that inevitable middle-aged milestone, can actually negatively impact oral health, which is pertinent not only to our patients but to mental dental professionals as well. To this end, we’ve invited on Kelli Jaecks, a dental hygienist based in Oregon as well as a professional speaker and author, who specifically focuses on women’s health issues.
Kelli was somewhat of a professional late-bloomer, not starting college until she was 30, and she’s proof that it’s never too late to find your calling and pursue it. Apart from her education as a hygienist, Kelli also earned her master’s in communication and adult education and briefly served as president of the American Dental Hygienists Association (ADHA). She is the author of Martinis & Menopause: Strategies, Science and Sips That Empower Women to Beat the Hormone Game.
In this episode, Kelli emphasizes why health professionals should look after themselves as much as they do those in their care, explains what really happens when your body goes through menopause, and suggests ways you can improve your sleep habits.
Interview starts: 14:03
– Kelli traces her late arrival to college and what drew her to dental work.
– Why it’s so vital for health providers and specialists to take care of themselves as well as their patients.
– The little things you can do to keep on top of your own health.
– Kelli relates her experiences working with the ADHA and what prompted her to write Martinis & Menopause.
– Taking a closer look at the physiology of menopause and how it affects oral health.
– Should hygienists be on the lookout for any oral symptoms caused by hormone replacement therapy in patients undergoing menopause?
– What women undergoing menopause can do to make this phase a little less turbulent.
– Kelli’s tips for developing good “sleep hygiene.”
“It’s never too late to start on a goal.”
“It’s not selfish to make choices for yourself, because when you’re at your best then you can serve more.”
“It’s very much more difficult to make positive choices for your eating, for your health, any of it, when you’re tired.”
“If you’re working at a place that is just untenable and just absolutely so negative, well it’s time to look somewhere else.”
Kelli’s homepage – https://www.kellijaecks.com/
Kelli’s email: email@example.com
Kelli’s phone number: (503)881-5633
Thank you to Paradise Dental Technologies aka PDT for providing sponsorship for this episodes CE credits!
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE credit!
Approved Pace Program Provider FAGD/MAGD Credit Approval Does Not Imply Acceptance By A State Or Provincial Board of Dentistry Or AGD Endorsement. 1/1/18- 12/31/19 Provider #373236
Be sure to thank the sponsor for CE for this episode by heading over to www.PDTDental.com and picking up a new instrument or telling them thank you in person at one of the conferences!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca