It’s A Tale of Two Hygienists’ student roundtable episode, which means Andrew and Michelle have invited a roster of guests to educate student listeners on a chosen topic. This month’s roundtable focuses on periodontitis, a disease that more than half of Americans have! To get the full scoop, Andrew chatted with not one, not two, but FOUR perio educators.
Eva Ramsey is an assistant professor at Tennessee Wesleyan University and faculty for AndyRDH. Marie Richey is a full-time educator and assistant professor at Shawnee State University. Amanda Mitchell is a faculty member at Student RDH and who teaches for South College in Nashville. Lisa Bilich is the department chair at Eastern Washington University and has taught perio for 15 years.
In this episode, our panel delves into their personal reasons for working in perio, discusses the way generational differences impact lesson plans, and asks the vital question: isHouse, MD still cool?
Interview starts: 5:42
– Why our panelists fell in love with perio.
– The reason Eva views her students as “disease detectives.”
– How do the guests get their students—as well as more skeptical professionals—invested in perio?
– What Lisa does to make perio education more “real” for her students.
– The importance of recognizing the difference of experience among faculty members and clinicians.
– How the COVID pandemic has made it difficult for current perio students to get the same hands-on experience as their predecessors.
– What the guests want to be the ultimate outcome(s) for their lessons.
– How students can more effectively study for perio courses.
“Perio is the path where science and dentistry kinda merge.”
“We’re making a bigger difference than just when we see our only patients.”
“We don’t clean teeth; we are preventative health care specialists.”
“It’s not just about the test; it’s about having to know I can stop the process by what I do.”
“I think it’s so important to learn along with our students and to be okay with not knowing everything.”
“Not every student learns the same way.”
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca