Andrew and Michelle had this week’s guest on for an entire series on myofunctional therapy earlier this year, and now that 2020 is at long last winding down, she’s returned to give an update on the status of all things myo since COVID-19 swept the industry and the world.
Returning guest Sarah K. Hornsby, RDH, is a myofunctional therapist, speaker and mentor. Her interest in myofunctional disorders arose from her own myofunctional problems, inspiring her to ask bigger questions about why these issues are prevalent in today’s society. This ultimately led to her launching her own myofunctional therapy practice, Faceology, a decade ago.
In this episode, Sarah explains why having to wear a mask isn’t an excuse to mouth-breathe, reveals the surprising benefits of humming, and stresses why you should get to know your own nose.
Interview starts: 17:22
– Sarah delves into the overarching benefits of having more hygienists speak to their patients about any myofunctional issues.
– The reason it can be difficult for some patients to grasp the actual mechanics of their own tongues.
– Confronting a national bad habit: mouth-breathing.
– One neat trick for building up valuable nitric oxide in your nasal passages.
– The shifts Sarah has noticed in the educational and industry landscape since the pandemic began.
– Sarah’s big announcement for the future of the Breathe Institute.
– Why everyone needs to take the initiative to learn about their own nose.
“Putting a mask over your mouth-breathing is kind of like, well, shouldn’t your nose be doing that?”
“There are so many opportunities for education. I have noticed booming changes in online courses.”
“We don’t need to fight amongst ourselves. We have bigger battles.”
“It’s so much easier to read a book, take a course, join a webinar, but the scariest, hardest thing is to see your first patient.”
“I don’t want people to get into a program that they can’t finish.”
The Breathe Institute – https://www.thebreatheinstitute.com/
Faceology – https://myfaceology.com/
MyoMentor – http://www.myomentor.com/
Sarah’s homepage – https://www.sarahkhornsby.com/
Sarah on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/user/sarahkh12
Sarah on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/SarahKHornsby/
Sarah on Twitter – https://twitter.com/SarahHornsbyRDH
Sarah on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/sarah_k_hornsby/
THIS EPISODE COUNTS FOR CE! – but read the disclaimer below as it might not count for your state.
Go here to take the test and get your CE Credit!
A Tale of Two Hygienists homepage – https://ataleoftwohygienists.com/
AToTH on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/aTaleOfTwoHygienists/
AToTH on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ataleoftwohygienists
AToTH on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/atoth/?originalSubdomain=ca