Everyone has a few life rules that shape how they act, interact and react. One of my personal rules is that I wait 24 hours before making any big decisions or purchases. This can be very hard in a world with so much available instant gratification. I look back on some of the biggest decisions I’ve made and am thankful for this rule. I can think of a few big mistakes I would have made had I acted impulsively.
I take this guideline and apply it to our workplace. Patients, coworkers and even faceless companies can push our buttons. Emotional decisions can have real consequences. Hopefully you don’t have to make huge ones too often but if you do, consider waiting 24 hours for clarity.
- “The advice I gave my son was to wait 24 hours before making a decision, because the first 24 hours is filled with emotion.”
- “When you make emotional decisions, they may not be the best decisions made.”
- “If you are going to come to your boss with a problem, it should not be focused on only you.”
- “Lead with the idea of how it affects the practice.”
- “It all comes back to patient care.”
- For managers: “At the end of the day it is not our practice.As much as we feel it is, as much as we grew it, and even though our blood, sweat and tears went into the practice, it is not our practice.”
- “I can’t have you love the practice more than the owner does.”
Also! Grab this Ebook that is completely free for you. 50+ pages of knowledge, checklists and job descriptions. Enjoy!
Click here for the Prepare Protect Prosper eBook
**If you like the show then I’d appreciate a good rating. Tell your friends. Even podcasters ask for referrals!**
- Teresa’s Website- https://www.odysseymgmt.com/ (sign up for my newsletter!)
- Teresa’s Book Moving Your Patients to Yes! Easy Insurance Conversations
http://odysseymgmt.corecommerce.com/Book/ (use ‘newsletter’ for $3 off)